The Computer could now also be called mans best friend. This is because of the many wonderful things that can be done with the computer. It can help us with our work and also provide us with entertainment.
However, have you ever wondered what makes the computer tick? The computer is made up of both hardware and software. The software is the programs that you use to type or surf the net such as Microsoft Word or Internet Explorers.
While the hardware are the stuff, that are outside your screen. They are the things that could be compared to stuff under your cars hood. Here is a list of the common hardware that PC units need to have or choose to have.
1. The Motherboard the primary circuit board that makes up the computer.
2. The CPU or the central processing unit the component that interprets the instructions and the processes the data contained in the software.
3. Random Access Memory or RAM for the execution of the program and the short term data. It helps the computer to have a faster time find something on the hard drive. More RAM means a faster PC.
4. The Buses the subsystem that transfers the data or power within the computer or between other computers.
5. The Power Supply the case that holds the voltage control, fan and transformer.
6. Video Display Controller responsible for the output of the computer display.
7. Computer Bus Controllers connects the computer to external devices such as printers or scanners.
8. Internal Storages keeps the data on the computer to be used for later
a. The Hard Disk used for medium term storage of data.
b. Disk Array Controller- provides the secondary storage service to computers. Often used for large servers.
9. The Media Writers used for files to be transferred on another medium aside from the computer.
a. CD Rom Drive, CD Rom Writer, DVD Rom, DVD Writer, Floppy Disks
10. The sound card used for the sound to be processed.
11. Modem or Network Cards used for connection to the internet.
12. Keyboard used for typing in the text
13. The Mouse used for pointing stuff
These are the general classifications of hardware that make up your computer. Each one of them has got different specs that are worth looking at before buying. For a person who has a very vague idea on hardware, it is best to ask someone for help before buying one. It helps to know that you are purchasing the best.